New Zealand’s largest team of building surveyors, with experience on projects all over the world and a reputation for being the ‘Gold Standard‘. Our Building Surveyors work out of our Auckland, Rotorua, Wellington and Christchurch offices and have the skills and experience required to investigate our unique built environment. Prendos’ Registered and Chartered building surveyors are involved in all aspects of property and construction, from supervising large remediation projects to identifying and forensically analysing building defects. We are known in the industry for providing clients with impartial advice.
Building Surveying Services
Investigate + Advise + Act
- Determine the condition of existing buildings.
- Identify and analyse defects.
- Carry out feasibility studies.
- Assess buildings to meet the needs of people with disabilities.
- Provide proposals for repair.
- Act as technical representatives for construction contracts.
- Advise on energy efficiency, environmental impact and sustainable construction.
- Instruct on the preservation/conservation of historic buildings.
- Advise on the management and supervision of maintenance of buildings.
- Instruct on health and safety issues and regulations.
- Prepare scheme designs with costings, programmes for completion of projects and specification of works.
- Ensure projects are completed on budget and to schedule (PM).
- Organise documents for tender and advising on appointing contractors, designers and procurement routes.
- Act as technical representatives for construction contracts (development monitoring, employers agent).
- Deal with council (consent) applications and advising on property legislation and building regulations. Instruct on health and safety issues and regulations.
- Negotiate schedules of reinstatement (when there is a legal liability for a property’s state of disrepair).
- Prepare insurance assessments and claims.
How our Building Surveyors can help
Building Surveyors perform a variety of essential roles related to design, construction, modification and care of buildings. This can include weathertightness investigations, providing advice on contracts and health and safety, managing and supervising maintenance and repairs of existing buildings and new build works. Many of our surveyors work on defective building claims and prepare briefs of evidence to assist the legal process.
Buildings together with their contents make up a complex assembly of materials and components and need to function to an acceptable standard to protect their users and its investment as an asset.
A building’s condition over time can be influenced by changes in use and function or damage during sudden events. Our surveyors are trained to consider all possibilities prior to embarking on building investigation and surveying work, and can help by diagnosing a buildings condition, its defects and resultant damage.
They understand what is required to maintain a building over its life and can investigate maintenance needs and demands. They also understand building code requirements and can investigate shortfalls and advise on compliance with the building act.
Prendos has provided building surveying services to owners of both standalone homes and low-rise and high-rise multi-unit developments for thirty years. Evidence uncovered during diagnostic investigations that set out to discover the nature and cause of building defects or failures is used to provide clients with advice and recommendations on appropriate remedial action.
Over the life of a property, action is required to address regular planned maintenance, deal with building defects, complete damage assessments following an insurance event and manage the transition process during a sale or lease. More recently issues such as the controlled management of asbestos and the affects of ‘P’ require active management by trained experts.
Our Building Surveyors are able to design and manage each remediation project from start to finish, providing continuous and direct communication with the client, contractor and Council. We have the ability to draw on other Prendos services, such as architecture, structural engineering, fire engineering, quantity surveying, and project management, to get things remedied in-house, which can be a huge time, effort and cost saving to our clients.